Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Are we helping

I remember watching tv as a kid and seeing the Mom and Dad sleep in separate beds, twin beds to be exact. I also remember the first time I heard a cuss word on the radio and the DJ laughed and said "wonder if that will get me fired", it didn't. I remember when HBO was what you watched if you wanted to see anything "bad". I remember... This morning I was on Facebook and I saw someone posted a picture of what they plan to buy at Victoria Secret. My heart sank and then I became angry because that means my children will see this picture too. We, as a society, have truly lost our filter. We no longer stop and think about what we are doing and how we are influencing those around us. Is my behavior helping those I know? In a positive way? Our children are growing up surrounded by...sex. That's pretty much it. Commercials on tv are sexual. Movies are sexual. 8pm tv shows that are on normal channels, not HBO, are sexual. Jokes we tell, stories we hear, news, it's all sexual. And now, we have adults on Facebook displaying what underwear they are going to buy...for me to see, my children to see, their own children to see! Because my two oldest are now teens I'm acutely aware of the struggles the teens of today are going through. Friends, we are not helping them by the actions we are committing. Just because you CAN use the technology today doesn't mean you SHOULD. So, the next time you feel you need to tell the Facebook world about your problems, your desires, or the joke you found to be so funny stop and think about who all is reading, watching, and learning from you. Are you helping to create a better future generation? I'm sad to think what my kids will remember.

No comments: