Sunday, November 4, 2012

Why Study?

"Lord, you are searching for honesty. You struck your people, but they paid no attention. You crushed them, but they refused to turn from sin. They are determined, with faces set like stone; they have refused to repent." Jeremiah 5:3

The word repent has been crossing my path a lot lately and for me that's an indicator God is trying to get something across to me. So, I've begun to study the word repent. Yes, study. Not just look up the definition, not just ask my pastor what he thinks, not just read one verse with the word repent in it...but STUDY.

I don't believe we should EVER accept something as truth just because one person says it is. That way of living is dangerous for obvious reasons. But as Christians it's even more dangerous simply because opinions can blind truth. If you hold someone in high regard then your opinion of them may blind you so much you start agreeing with all they say, even if they are saying false statements. We must all do our own homework, researching those who have gone before us, researching for ourselves what God is saying to us through the bible, researching for ourselves each idea laid on our heart.

Studying takes time and patience. Often God speaks to us in fragments, to draw us closer to Him..to force us to go beyond the easy and really seek the Truth.

How are you doing at studying? Do you brush it off with "I don't like to read" or "I just don't have time for that" or "I don't understand it when I read it" or maybe you put in your few minutes each day so you can say "Yep, check that off the list"...here's my challenge to you (and me):

Step back and look at what area of life are you struggling with right now? If you had to sum up in one word something you think you need to work on what would it be? Is there a theme that keeps coming up in your life?  Now, after giving it some thought set you mind to study that area, that word, that theme. And then do it! If you have time for facebook and your favorite tv show and naps then you certainly have time to study because this type of studying will only make you a better person and I have a feeling we ALL want to be better people!

As for what I've discovered so far about repent, it means a WHOLE lot more than just saying "I'm sorry I suck so much." If you don't know what to study I highly recommend the word repent...maybe we can compare notes and together find Truth.

No comments: