Thursday, June 20, 2013

Father's Day Past



It’s a few days late but, I wanted to pay tribute this Father’s Day to two men in my life that will forever leave an impact on my heart—my grandfathers.

My earliest memory of Grandpa Critser (my mom’s father) is the camp meeting in Anderson, IN. I remember the smell of the air, an aroma that had a hint of sweet to it. I remember he’d lean down during service and whisper “remember, ice cream after this.” But my favorite memory of camp meeting week was on the last night when the candles were passed out. The room would dim and one by one candles were lit across the auditorium, including mine. And then all together we’d raise our candles and all you could see was a sea of flickering lights. As a little girl it was an awesome experience to be part of.

My last memory of him is when we went to visit my grandparents just before he died. There was a moment when it was only he and I in the room and he took my hand and through tears said “Only God is more proud of you than me.” Many moments in the years since I’ve reflected on that special moment, my grandpa loved God deeply and is the only man to ever enter my life that made me feel utterly and unconditionally loved. I am so thankful God made Morris (Bud) Critser. I miss him more than I could possibly explain.

~~~~~~~

My earliest memory of Grandpa Saathoff (my dad’s father) is riding on his lap as he mowed the pasture. I loved doing that! His arms were big and strong and he held me tightly as we’d make the turn to start the next lap. I also remember he’d never let me win playing checkers or battleship, when I’d start to cry he’d laugh and say “well, you could always try to beat me again” and we’d play another round. I never felt like he got tired of me; I never felt I was a burden to him. In years past, he was a confident man, proud to be an American, could fix anything and appeared to have no fear. In him I learned how a man should act.

My most recent memory is my dad and I having to help position him in bed because he’s too weak to do it himself. My heart is heavy because time is drawing to a close and I will one day not hear his voice. Last night I had a dream, he and I were riding on the tractor mowing a huge open field. We were laughing and his strong arms were once again wrapped around me. All was right in the world. I’m so thankful God made Glen Saathoff. I will forever draw upon the strength of the days past.


Father’s Day is a moment for us to pause
and give tribute to the men that are the reason we are alive.
If it wasn’t for my grandpa’s having my parents I wouldn’t be here
and I wouldn’t have had the privilege of knowing
the two finest men to ever cross my path.



3 comments:

Charlie said...

I knew your grandfather Glen Saathoff and what a wonderful tribute you have given him. He was a great man and was one of my heros. Hard working and honest and a man of integrity that loved his family very much and would drop whatever he was doing to help a neighbor or a friend or a stranger in need. One of my prayers in life is thanking God for the people He put in my life to be an example to me and teach me and be an inspiration to me and Glen Saathoff is one of those people. I am proud to call him my friend and we will meet again one day when we exchange these rags for robes. May
God keep you and your family in His protective loving hands. God Bless!

Charlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cmb said...

Wow! I just saw this, thank you so much for the kind words!!!