Friday, May 2, 2014

Closet Christians

2 Chronicles 15:14-15 "They shouted out their oath of loyalty to the LORD with trumpets blaring and horns sounding. All were happy about this covenant, for they had entered into it with all their hearts. Eagerly they sought after God, and they found him. And the LORD gave them rest from their enemies on every side."


All three of my children have been embarrassed by me shouting for them during some event they were participating in. All three have glared at me with eyes that said, "Please, I'm begging you, be quiet." I'm loud, out spoken, and unafraid to speak my mind or shout my loyalty. What about you? Do you shout your loyalty? If you're a sports fan I'm going to say yes. If you've been in the military I'm going to say yes. If you're a parent I'm going to say yes. We aren't afraid to shout our loyalty for lots of things, but do we Christians shout it for God?

I have only been seeking God for 10 years and when I first began I knew NOTHING about the Bible and I was pretty sure all Christians were shipped to Africa to be a missionary and live a life of poverty. Seriously. Over the last 10 years I have not only grown in bible knowledge, I have gone overseas for a mission trip and I have walked away from the security of a pay check. I have also experienced my darkest hours and committed my biggest regrets in the last 10 years. I love God so much and I really suck it most of the time.
 
I have been known to talk about Jesus in the frozen food section at Walmart, at the bar, with the mailman, in public restrooms, and in the elevator. I talk about Jesus at work, at home, with friends, with strangers, and alone in my car I talk to Jesus out loud. I am a Christian wherever I go and I talk about God throughout my day, not because I'm now this awesome person who has it all together and can say "you should be like me" but because God is worth it.

Ask yourself, what do you talk about most? What are you not afraid to say? 

Right now you're probably thinking one of two thoughts: "Good for you, I'm not that out going." or "You shouldn't be boasting about that, after all you make LOTS of poor choices and should probably not be talking about God at all because you're spreading the wrong idea of Jesus; especially considering you mentioned THE BAR." I've heard both those statements more than once. I am the first to admit I am so desperately unworthy of God's love let alone His willingness to use me. So, what about you? Do you talk openly about God? I mean, are you quick to share how God has influenced your life? Has God influenced your life? Or do you remain quiet outside of church doors so that you can boast "at least I'm not like her, running around talking about God while still sinning"?

The point of the cross is being missed, friends, and it's time we step up our game. It's time we start shouting and stop believing the lie Satan is selling. Satan wants us to stay quiet, he wants us to believe we're not worthy of talking about God because we are such screw-ups. Satan wants us to compare sins and in the end agree to remain closet Christians.

Sin is sin. Period. Jesus was nailed to that cross for one reason...victory over sin, ALL sin, for ALL people, for ALL of time so that we can be united with God. I sin all the time (which is a topic for another post), I am completely unworthy of God's love, let alone being used by Him, and yet He chooses to do so. He chose to send His son to die for me, and that's worth shouting! I'm far from where I should be when it comes to how I live my life, but I'm far from where I was because of His grace and that's worth shouting!

I'm a person who is better now than I was, loved more than I have ever been, and confident that when I die I will receive the best hug ever. And I can say "you should feel what I feel." I'm sharing with people because I want others to have the same opportunity I've had, the opportunity to truly feel love. Being a closet Christian serves no one.

The people were shouting their loyalty, they were eagerly seeking after God, and they gave Him their whole heart. And they were people, just like you and me...full of mistakes, bruised with sin, and unworthy of being saved. And yet...they found Him and He gave them rest.

Don't be a closet Christian any longer. Don't be ashamed to love God out loud. Shout loudly and eagerly seek after God! And please stop worrying about what others will think of you!

2 Chronicles 15:14-15 "They shouted out their oath of loyalty to the LORD with trumpets blaring and horns sounding. All were happy about this covenant, for they had entered into it with all their hearts. Eagerly they sought after God, and they found him. And the LORD gave them rest from their enemies on every side."

 


No comments: