Monday, September 7, 2009

shiney objects

I have known since I was 12 years old that I wanted to be a counselor, what I didn't know then was that it was a gift God had given to me. As I've grown over the years in maturity, faith, and wisdom I've come to realize how important it is to seek why you were created, what your purpose on this earth is and then stay steadfast on the course of developing the gifts and talents you were given. We all get them, they are part of what makes us unique; not everyone uses theirs or even realizes they have any. I've met many people who say they have nothing to offer, they have no talent or gift. I guess in some ways there was a time when I felt that way. But through reflection I realized that I felt that way because what I WANTED to do I wasn't good at and therefore felt I had nothing to offer. Gifts come naturally to us, it's something that you do and don't' even realize you're good at it. Talents are something that can be taught, but I believe there must be a little talent hidden within you or...well you sound like me when I sing Love Shack.

I have accomplished a goal I've had for 15 years. I've graduated from college. I can't even describe the feelings inside me as I walked across the stage to receive my diploma. That moment will forever stand out, but there was a reason I wanted to finish college (outside of the fact I needed too) I want to be a counselor and in order to do that I need a masters and well bachelors comes first. It's stepping stones to get to my goal of fulfilling who I feel God has created me to be. My life is no longer lived according to making others happy and I no longer make final decisions based on who it will make mad. I do however seek advice from those I trust and know they are Godly people, but in the end the decision is between God and myself. When I make major decisions with that foundation life always always always goes better than I even expected!

My purpose is to help others by sharing my story, listening to their story, and helping them find their purpose. My purpose is to get out of the way just enough for God's light to shine and to do that by not getting distracted by shiny objects. We have our own definition of shiny objects, I know mine and I know I must press forward regardless of them or others because I'm living for one purpose...God's, not others.

Till next time...

No comments: