Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A journey

Have you ever been so use to wearing jewelry that when you don't wear it you feel some how naked? That's how I felt last week. Since I was 12 years old I have said I want to be a counselor when I grow up. Well, I'm all grown up and the other day I went to an open house for a counseling grad program...and left completely confused. It just didn't feel right. I kept asking God what does that mean, only to get the same response in my heart...I've already told you. More confusion. I felt naked. For so many years I'd wrapped myself in the title of counselor, the understanding that I would someday be that, a goal to work towards and suddenly it wasn't there.

I talked with my best friend the whole way home, crying and trying to make sense of all of it. But she continued to remind me the journey isn't over, it's just turned. I tried and tried to make sense of it that night, and the nights to follow but nothing was happening. Then I remembered something I'd done a long time ago, a test I'd taken to see what gifts God had given me. I also remembered a desire I'd had and then...things started clicking...and my heart started racing. All I kept thinking was you can't be serious....

So, here I am today inquiring about a new path with sweaty hands and an excitement that's not been in me for awhile. I'm not sure it's the right path either but what I am sure of...God will let me know. So, until I know for sure I'm keeping it secret but know this...there are many forms of "counseling"....I refuse to do what makes others comfortable and even though sometimes it takes me awhile, I will always follow God even if no one else thinks I should.

No comments: