Wednesday, March 7, 2012

But Why?

But WHY? Anyone who has ever been around children knows this is a phrase that gets old rather quickly. "But WHY is the sky blue?" "But WHY do I have to eat all my food?" "But WHY can't I stay up as late as my sister?" On and on and on. At first, we are under the illusion that these are great moments of teaching, we feel a sense of duty to explain. And then. The irritation sets in as we realize WHY never stops and we, frankly, don't fully know the answer to most of the questions. We begin to change our answer from a long dissertation to a simple "because I said so".

My relationship with God is much like that of a small child at times. Not in the "child like faith" that we want to have, but rather I'm the annoying "but why" kid. "But why do I have to take a step that seems impossible?" "But why don't you show up BEFORE the eleventh hour?" "But why am I still not married?" "But why did you make people so difficult to love?" "But WHY!!!". God IS Patience, if you need proof of that stop and reflect on how many times you bemoan BUT WHY to Him. He never walks away, He never grows weary, He never stops and says "Please go find something do".

A child asks why because they are simply trying to learn. I ask why because I'm a control freak driven by fear. There is a very big difference.

Today this is my hearts desire...that I may learn to silence the WHY inside me and find peace in knowing that the One with all the answers says "Because I love you. Because it's not about you. Because I Am." My friends, God calls us to do the outrageous, to step out of our comfort zone, to give until it hurts. The only answer we need given to us is "because I said so".

No comments: