Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Surrender All

I love music. All kinds of music. Yesterday I was listening to Christian music while in the car and I started really listening, not singing, but listening to the words in each song. The string of songs I heard were all about our hearts cry, our desperate longing to know God is on our side, and our desire to surrender our life to Him.

I surrender all to you. Words that are in several Christian songs. Words we sing at my church. Words I speak, I want to mean. Words that prick my heart at the deepest part. I surrender ALL to you.

But do I surrender my relationships? What about my eating habits? And then there's the fact that sometimes I'd rather be lazy and do nothing instead of listen to the nudging inside me to call someone I know needs to talk...do I surrender those moments? Do I surrender my wants, my dreams, my comfort?

Often when I'm singing in church I'll suddenly pause and think "Do I mean these words?" It's easy to get caught up in the moment, to sing because you "like" the song...but do we mean what we're saying? Do we really surrender all or do we just WANT to surrender all?

My confession to you today, more often than not I just want to. More often than not I mean it in the moment and then, I leave, and the moment passes and I go back to living a life not surrendered to God. My outside doesn't always match my inside. And I know I'm not alone. I know, from listening to the songs, we all struggle with this.

I'm praying for us to move beyond singing, move beyond a heart of longing and start to actually do. I'm praying for us to actually surrender all to God. I'm praying for us to see the true beauty that comes when we are in a place of living not for ourselves, but for the One who can actually give us freedom from ourselves!

No comments: