Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Him

So, I've thought about this post for awhile now due to past conversations but wasn't sure I wanted to be this vulnerable...but I also know that just cause it sounds good in my head doesn't mean it's good and this is a topic I take very seriously. As much as I enjoy being single, I truly long to love a man with all my heart. I am guarded, probably to a fault so, I've decided to let you in in the hopes something good comes from it. So...here ya go...


I've had conversations with people about whether or not one should have a "list"...you know a list of what you want your spouse to be like...here's my list....I look forward to your thoughts...

You will love God deeper than you'll ever love me. Not that you'll be perfect or even pretend to be perfect, but more like when you're mad at me you'll turn to God for answers instead of lashing out in anger and saying hurtful things. More like when our relationship struggles you'll turn to God instead of to your friends who will only fuel the fire. More like you'll see me as the daughter of God that I am instead of just another woman.

You'll respect my family. Not that you have to like it all or even agree with decisions but you'll understand that at the end of they day they are my family and I will never walk away from them. You'll understand my family has it's own set of "rules" and you'll know that though I love for you to stand up for me, there are times when it's not appropriate because it's my battle to fight as I see fit. You'll support me, love me, and pray with me. But you'll respect them...always.

You won't be an alcoholoic. Not that you can't drink, but that you understand the difference between having a drink and the drink having you. Enough said.

You will love me, I mean really truly love me. I understand there will be times when you won't like me, but you'll love me. And because you love me you'll not threaten me with divorce, you'll not cheat on me, you'll not abuse me, you'll seek to understand how to love me as the unique woman I am.

You'll be patient with my walls. Understanding my past helped to shape who I am today and though it's my past I have learned valuable lessons...like trust is earned not given. You will understand that needing space doesn't mean you walk away, it just means space. You'll fight for me...because I'm worth fighting for.

Together we will do this life, laugh through it, cry through it, and create fantastic memories because of it.

And...you'll be strong enough to lead me yet gentle enough to walk along side me.


I wonder sometimes if this kind of man exists. I wonder if my "list" is just too much. And then I realize that this very list is what has kept me from continuing to make poor choices so, I guess that's enough said.

Do you have a list? Do you know of something I need to add to mine?

Till next time my friend....

No comments: