Monday, March 2, 2009

The sky is not falling...

Yesterday I was part of a very good and heated discussion regarding our economy and our President. I was the youngest person in this conversation and will be honest and say the least affected when our economy started to crash. That all being said, it bothered me that so much of the conversation was based on opinions rather than fact, based on fear rather than Truth. Every person in this conversation is a very strong Christian, seeking to do their part in God's kingdom...so why is it that we as Christians are a bunch of Chicken Little's? Because when the economy started to fall and the stock market ate up the 401K/retirement funds all of a sudden we as humans, as Americans, suddenly realized we are not in control. They all worked hard, were responsible with their money by saving it instead of spending and yet today none of that matters, they have little left to show for it.

Please understand I am not making light of the pain caused by the crash of our economy or the loss of any one's money, I know these are scary times; but it's just that...a time. This moment is not forever, it is simply a moment in our history and one that we will recover from. Yes I know it's scary the way our country is seeming to move right now and I get that things are changing, not necessarily for the good; but aren't we always saying God is in control? Do we really, I mean really, believe that?

We as Christians are called to be separate from this world, we are told to not belong to the things of this world so if we truly don't then why is it still so hard? Because we are still humans living on this side of Heaven. I want my kids to learn from this experience, to learn from not only what's going on politically but also what's going on spiritually. Because we are Christians we need to trust God, even when it's scary; God promises to provide for today's needs, He does not promise we will be able to take that dream vacation. Living is not always fun, easy, or fair. But my goodness we must focus on the living that comes after....as it was pointed out yesterday in the conversation, is it "fair" that we get to walk with God when we die?

I guess my point to this particular writing is this...first off, regardless of what's going on being an American is still far better than any other option out there my friends! Secondly, if you don't like the way things are going instead of just voicing your opinions and spreading negativity, find out the facts, get involved and be positive! And last, if you are a Christian take time to seek what is God saying to you right now, because I promise He's not saying "too bad for you, you can't retire now!"...Our God IS Good, we MUST hold on to that even when it is scary.

3 comments:

God's Girl said...

Amen! Amen! Amen! Great post! Our God is the one who exalts kings and takes them down. He Is In Control. Thanks for sharing!!!!

All for Jesus,
Julie

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Christianity would look like in America minus all our wealth.

if we couldn't afford to have projector screens, video, and creative stage backdrops...

Would people stick around?
How would it change the way we worship? Would it?

Sometimes I get the sense that for some people Jesus is a great addition to a successful business plan and the American dream.

If it were all stripped away would we still worship him?

cmb said...

I look around the church body on Sunday morning sometimes wondering how many are here simply to be able to boast they came to church? Instead of getting hung up on their motives, I pray for the Church at large asking God to reveal all of our true motives...


Thanks Julie!!