Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Money

Money. It's not something many like talking about, unless it's how to make more. I have a friend that's always looking for ways to make more money...to have more stuff. I have another friend that's always looking for ways to save more money...get rid of more stuff. For years I avoided money, as crazy as that sounds, I did. I saw how money changed people and I saw the stress money brought. Money can make people become who they were not meant to be and it can hurt a lot of people. My dad once said "who ever said money can't buy happiness was rich cause money sure would make me happy"; I watched him get the point where he had a little extra money (though he'd never admit that) and he still wasn't happy...my dad missed the whole point of happiness.

We think that when we make more money then our trouble will be gone, we'll be able to pay our bills and we won't stress any longer. To a degree I suppose that is true, however that also implies we think money is the key to being happy and that is a very dangerous thought. Today I am broke. Plain and simple. Yet today I am beyond rich. I never know from month to month how my bills will be paid, yet they always get paid. On the outside some would say that I'm being irresponsible. They haven't taken the time to talk to me. They assume wealth equals money. I don't. They assume responsible equals money. I don't. They also assume they are in charge of providing the money they need to survive and thrive. I don't.

Over the years God has proven Himself to me over and over that He will provide for me. It's not always been in comfortable ways, ways I'd like for it to be, but He's never failed me. In fact, in Malachi 3 (from the old testament) God says to test Him in this area..."Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do, says the Lord Almighty, I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Test Me! Let me prove it to you!"

Everything comes from God, whether or not you believe that doesn't really matter. It is what it is. Your money isn't your money, it was a gift from God. And He says that if you test Him, if you trust Him with the money that comes into your house, He will bless you with more than you can even imagine.

Today people are suffering from lack of. Today people are wondering if God has forgotten them. I want to encourage you, no matter what your situation is, no matter how much or how little money you have, each dollar that comes into your hand if you give the first 10% to God by tithing it at church you will be blessed. If you don't go to church then give it to a worthy charity. Where you give it at this point, in my opinion, isn't nearly as important as the actual giving. Test God. Take a step of faith and write the check to give the FIRST 10%...even if that means you won't have enough money to pay your bills. Test God and then wait and see....He will show up. I have no doubt. Write the check even if your hands are shaking...I've so been there and I have seen God show up in outrageous ways!

No comments: