Friday, January 7, 2011

Disappointment

This morning the bus didn't come at the usual time, so we began to think they'd missed it. Just as I entered the bedroom to change clothes so I can take them to school (didn't think they'd appreciate me doing it in my robe) I heard them yell BUS! So I said ok bye only to hear Kaity say with disappointment in her voice "We have to ride it?" Not 1 minute after they left I got a text from Tyler expressing the same disappointment.

I got a call last night from a good friend who feels betrayed by another friend. I could hear the disappointment in this person's voice as the story unfolded. I read an email this morning that showed signs of old age, signs of death coming soon and I became overwhelmed at the disappointment of knowing the world won't know her much longer. I heard on the news this morning 8 million people lost their jobs due to the economy crash and only 1 million has regained employment; though that's promising news, it's still disappointment for the 7 million still wondering how they are going to buy food this week.

I could, as I'm sure you could, continue the list of ways we are disappointed. If we are in any relationship at all we will experience moments of disappointment. But what do we do with that feeling? How do we move from disappointment to satisfaction? Paul says in Philipians that he has learned to be content in all things....he learned to be satisfied regardless of his circumstance, regardless of others, regardless of how he "felt". Paul was a normal human being just like you and me and that should give us great excitement in knowing if he learned that we can too! Stop believing the lie that you can't reach that level of faith. Stop believing the lie that you must react to every single thing that happens. Stop believing your feelings control your actions.

Disappointment is going to happen my friends. Choose to say "ouch that hurt" and then let it go, trusting God to do what He does best....turn it into good. Strive to live in contentment regardless of circumstances, regardless of feelings, regardless of what you THINK should happen. Be grateful for your life, not disappointed in someone else's.

No comments: