Friday, May 13, 2011

What are you so afriad of?

I was listening to a song this morning about doing what you know you're made for, one of the lines says "Go ahead, what are you so afraid of?" The other day in conversation with a friend I said what if I write this book and it's good and then I'm expected to write more and nothing more comes? What if I succeed to a level that others deem me unacceptable of? Who do I think I am anyway?


Why do we do that? Why do we live in this constant state of fear...fear of what others think, fear of failure, fear of success, fear of the unknown, fear of what we do know....why do we as Christians allow our lives to be ruled by fear instead of truth?


When talking to others about their life I say all the right things, giving advice and encouragement and helping them not live in fear yet when it comes to my own life I can't seem to listen to myself. Why is it good for everyone else and not me? What am I SO afraid of?


Disappointment.


I've spent my whole life trying to make someone else proud, trying to earn the "good job" award and just when I think it's within reach I quit because what if it doesn't happen? What will I have then? Disappointment. So, let's not go the full race, let's go just enough to say I did it and then move on to the next thing before anyone says "hey wait a minute, you have more to do". Disappointment.


If I believe God's word, and I do, then I must also believe He has a plan for me....to bring me a hope and a future, not harm. I must also believe that trumps all those fears, trumps disappointment...after all, God says we are chosen and it's brought him great pleasure to call us his very own treasure. If I believe all that in my heart then apparently it's time to stop feeling that inside but not showing it outside. Does your heart line up with your life....words I've pondered all week.


Freedom in Christ has no room for disappointment or fear. Freedom in Christ has no room for going half the distance, for flying under the radar, for living according to what others "may" think. Freedom in Christ is just that, freedom IN Christ. Let's not do the "I'll start Monday" philosophy any more, let's stand up today and say right now, starting right now, I'm going to live outside like I know to be truth inside. What are you so afraid anyway? You've already been chosen and it is good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog