Sunday, August 10, 2014

I Do

"Commit everything you do to the LORD, trust Him and He will help you." Psalm 37:5

When I signed up to follow Jesus I had NO clue what I was getting myself into. Seriously. I thought I would say "Ok, God, I will give you my life (meaning I don't want to go to hell when I die) and He would "pour out his blessings upon me" and life would ROCK!

Life has rocked alright, back and forth and up and down kind of rocking!

Being a Christian, a person truly seeking God's will (not just trying to stay out hell) has been and continues to be the very hardest commitment I have ever made. My word for the 2014 is commitment and as one would correctly guess, my commitment on MANY levels has been tested but it always comes back to the very first question I ever had to answer--"Do you trust Me?"

I want so badly to answer instantly "OF COURSE!" but I would be lying if I did and God knows that. So, the process of gaining trust happened the moment I said "I do" to the One who created me. I married God on the side of a road back in 2002; I pulled over as I couldn't see through the tears and I utter the words "I need you, please have me" and in that moment I committed my life to a man I cannot see, a hug I cannot feel and a leader I struggle to trust. I have wavered in all of that at times, I have doubted if it's all really worth it but each time I conclude the same thought--there can be no other way.

For me to learn trust, to learn commitment I have to go through trial after trial after trial. I'm stubborn like that I suppose, but God loves me enough to say "ok, let's try again" and another wave crashes over me that forces me to my knees and I must have another moment of saying "i do."


I have been devoted to God in my own rocky and twisted sort of way for 12 years now and I can honestly tell you the blessings do pour out, the love does flow, and the commitment continues to gain strength. Stay the course friends and trust me when I tell you it's ALL worth it.

2 comments:

Sue Detweiler said...

Congratulations! Twenty Years and counting! You never stop being a mom.

cmb said...

Thanks, Sue!