Sunday, June 7, 2009

Small Groups

Today I hosted a party for my small group from church. I have been with my small group for nearly four years now, how fast time flies! They have been with me through some of my best and worst moments, and each time they stood by me. I am the only one single in my small group and some of them have kids close to my age. We are at very different points in life, but that is what makes it such a wonderful group! It's funny how you go blindly into something and it turns out to be so much better than if you'd try to make it happen on your own.

I can't tell you everything I've learned from them (because some things are too hard to put into words), but I can tell you I'm a better person because of them. I've become more loving, more humble (yes, really), and I've learned more about marriage, relationships, and commitment. They have taught me to push myself, to be a better mom, and to trust in God even when it hurts. They have showered me with love, acceptance, and guidance and not once have they ever made me feel I didn't belong or my thoughts didn't matter...even in the times I challenged their beliefs or ideas.

I came into my group deeply wounded and deeply afraid, they simply loved me right where I was. They don't expect to be them, they expect me to be me. My hope is that everyone finds a small group like mine. A group of people you can cry with, laugh with, and be inspired by. A group of people you can be just you with.

This life is the only life we get, there is no plan B. Surround yourself with people that will help you embrace your future and recover from your past. There is a saying that goes "show me your friends and I'll show you your future"...oh how very true that is. If you look into your future and don't like what you see...start today changing that direction! Get up and start building those relationships...small groups rock!!

Till next time....

No comments: