Thursday, March 10, 2011

To Ask

Lately the conversation God and I have been having invovles asking. It's crossed my path several times, the pharse "ask and it will be given to you"...which lead me to saying is it really that easy? Can I really just ask? Now let me be clear, I know it is, I know that's "prayer", I know that part of the relationship with God. But do I KNOW that? Do I TRUST that? Ask and it will be given...really?

Last night in small group we ended up talking about how you know you are hearing from God. Different thoughts rose on this topic, ranging from does it match what the bible says to not being so sure we "hear" from God like we say we do. But hinging on the whole asking God for something is being able to hear the answer right?

I tend to compare my relationship with God to that of a marriage. I've often said that God and I are having a marital spat; some find this wrong to say because I'm talking about God and you shouldn't argue with God, I however find it healthy because through this wrestling that happens I learn to trust God deeper. All of that comes through communication. And any married couple will tell you communication is key to a healthy and successful marriage. I wouldn't bother aruging with God, or talking to Him for that matter, if I didn't believe He would answer.

James 1:5-6 says "If you need wisdom, if you want to know what God wants you to do, ask him and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind."

Expect Him to answer. Ask Him what He wants you to do. Notice it doesn't say only ask about the big things. It doesn't say He only answers occassionally and you probably won't be able to hear him. It doesn't say only when you've grown to a certain level as a Christian. It simply says if you wanna know, ask, then be looking for the answer. Period. The secret to all of this asking and listening...having your will in line with God's will. Asking for things that line up with God which means we don't always get what we ask for simply because it's not good for us, not because God isn't answering us. No, afterall, is an answer.

Years ago when I prayed "God use me" as a dare from Pastor Bill, I followed it with "I promise to give you the credit". Last night God was moving among our small group, promting us to dig deeper in our faith. Last night, my friends, God was speaking and it was in direct relation to someone's asking. So, I guess the answer is yes, it really is that easy. Man I love being a Christian.

No comments: