Monday, October 31, 2011

Come to the table

I like reading about Mary and Martha in the bible; reading how one was busy cleaning and one was busy being. I like knowing that both were necessary and both were loved by Christ. I like knowing that both caught his attention and both were invited to His table. Frankly, I'm both.

I often feel inadequate. I often feel less than. I often feel. Feelings are not something we should ever base decisions on and yet, feelings are usually the first answer given when asked "why". Feelings drove both Mary and Martha. Feelings are misleading, misunderstood and misused. Christ is rarely found in our feelings.

Last weekend 100 women gathered to "be real" in the presence of Christ. There was a moment as I was talking that I thought to myself "this, this is what it's suppose look like" and I must admit I nearly broke down and cried because that moment was fully God and none Carla. I could feel Him. I could see Him in their faces.

I often have an image cross my mind of a man sitting at a table, patiently, waiting for me to come and sit with him. He never says anything, just looks at me and smiles as if to say " yes, I'm still here". For a long time I didn't understand...I'm so thankful I do now.

We all fail. We all fall so short of where we'd like to be at the end of the day. We all question and we all long. All of us. We're so busy running around, from place to place, making sure all the kids are in sports, making sure we attend all the parties, making sure we never miss an event, making sure our friends are happy, our coworkers are happy, even making sure our church is happy and yet...He sits at the table, just waiting.

He's not waiting on any THING to happen, he's waiting on US to happen. On us to slow down long enough to realize that it our own being that matters most to him. He's waiting on us to join him at the table. He's waiting on us to allow Him to lavish love upon us. Lavish...what a beautiful word.

If you don't have time, then you better make time. The last thing we should ever want to do is stand before God saying we're sorry we didn't make time for Him when He'd been at our table all along.

No comments: