Saturday, November 26, 2011

Enthusiasm

Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Ephesians 6:7.

I just got done cleaning the bathtub. We have well water and I don't always remember to add salt to the water softner so at times our water gets rusty. It doesn't take long before the bathtub has a lovely orange tint to it. While cleaning, this verse came to mind; interesting because while I was cleaning I was not feeling enthusiasm.

I think I would be described as a person that has enthusiasm. I'm certainly a passionate person, an expressive person so I think it's safe to say enthusiasm could also describe me. However, I don't do ALL THINGS with enthusiasm and I certainly don't clean with it. Honestly, the only time that word describes me is when I'm doing what I WANT to be doing, what I ENJOY doing. I doubt that's what Paul was talking about when he wrote that verse.

We all work, the job title is the only thing that separates us. We put our hours in and we all wonder at times if it's even worth it. We all lose sight of WHO we're working for. Even me and my whole career revolves around God.

As this year comes to a close and we start to think about a new year, we often start to think of new goals. I want to encourage us to view our "work" differently this next year...let's work (whether it's at home, at a job, or as a volunteer) with enthusiasm remembering we work for the Lord, not for people. Let's have enthusiasm even when no one stops to say "hey good job", let's have enthusiasm even when we feel unappreciated. Let's have enthusiasm in all we do because it'll make our lives a lot more enjoyable!

I'm off to do laundry...with enthusiasm...and the help of Pandora.

No comments: