Friday, January 27, 2012

Throwing Stones

Last year was a year of clarity for me. Clarity rolled over me like waves; at times I couldn't catch my breath. Clarity is a good thing though; I do not regret asking for it nor do I believe I'm done receiving it.

I prayed a lot about what to make this year. At first I said I wanted it to be a year of financial prosperity. I quickly shifted to abundance thinking that sounded more acceptable. God showed me neither were ok simply because of my motive. I wanted that out of selfish motive, out of lack of trust in Him, out of frustration.

"Fine", I said one night driving home, "have it your way; what would you like this year to be?" The image that crossed my mind was throwing stones followed by thinking about David killing the giant with a sling and five stones. I wondered if David was shaking on the inside even though he was confident on the out. I wondered if he was sweating as he hurled those stones; did he worry he would miss. I also wondered how freeing it felt for David to stand next to a giant and know that his God would prevail..."I want that kind of faith Lord"...those words left my mouth without me even realizing it. In that moment was my true heart. In that moment was God's true voice.

So, it's a year of throwing stones. I've come to realize it means two things really...I will be going up against my own giants in awesome ways of triumph but I will also be throwing away stones that are inside me that keep me from having that large faith, the faith it takes to pick up five rocks and march in and look a giant in the eye and say ..."to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands." 1 Samuel 17.

Nothing in that moment was about David. And I want nothing in my moments of facing giants to be about me. David believed God would show up. I want to believe God will show up. David did his part. I want to do my part.

Let the stone throwing begin....

No comments: