Monday, July 29, 2013

My own worst enemy

"For by that one offering He perfected forever all those whom He is making holy." Hebrews 10:14

I am my own worst enemy. My self-talk is more paralyzing, more hurtful, and happens more often than any other person could possibly do to me. I can single handedly crush dreams, stop good intentions, and certainly I can keep God's wishes at arms length. Yes, I am my own worst enemy.

God is relentless. I mean that with the utmost respect, but seriously He is. When He wants me to do something, and I fully acknowledge it yet don't do it, He won't let up! Frankly, it's annoying. I find myself saying "I know, but what if..." and then I live in the land of Carla-talk. The whole time I'm wandering in that land, I feel God's nudge. I will often say "Just tell me what you want me to do." To which I'll feel inside "I already did." And I grumble and start in with more and LOUDER Carla-talk.

When reading Hebrews 10:14 two words override any self-talk we can do. Perfected and making. If I, if we (because I know you wallow in your own land of yuck-talk), keep those two words in mind there will be no room to camp on the what ifs. Here's the deal, perfected means already done. It's past tense. When Jesus died he made ALL who follow him perfect. It's done. In God's eyes I am perfect just as I am. So are you. Making is present tense. God is making us holy, day by day. Perfect and holy are two different things. Holy means to be set apart for God to use. Day after day we are being made more and more holy, used by God more and more as time passes...as we learn more about Him, surrender more to Him, and stop living in the land of negative self-talk (yuck talk, Carla land, whatever you want to call it). Perfected and making leave no room for "Good grief I suck as a human being."

The next time you start to doubt, to fear, to believe you are less than think about those two words. In God's eyes you are perfect and through His Holy Spirit He is making you holy. Because He loves you. Because He wants you to succeed in His plan for your life. Because He's better than your best friend so stop being your own worst enemy!

1 comment:

IReadTooMuch said...

Beautifully said. Isn't it amazing how, as humans created in His image, we destroy that view because we can't overcome ourselves long enough to remember God created us for His purpose and pleasure. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post.