Thursday, July 11, 2013

What comes first

It can be very challenging to find the good sometimes. I’m constantly shouting for all to hear that we need to shift our perspective, focus on the good, find things to be thankful for—rather than complain and spew negative energy. This is not an easy task, this being thankful rather than saying “life is sucking right now”, especially when it truly is sucking. Yeah, sometimes finding the good is downright challenging.


Matthew 6:33 “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be given unto you.”

I read a quote one time that went like this, “You’ll always have a good and a bad track in life, moving side by side, which ever track you stand on is the one that will move you through life. Which track do you want to be on?” The point is this, if we spend our energy focusing on the negative then we’ll feel the negative or vice versa. I am willing to bet none of us want to be on the negative track. So, how do we move and stay on the good track of life?

First, accept the bad. Accept there will be bad days, bad people, bad moods, bad weeks. Accept there will be times when you feel like nothing is going your way. Accept and expect life to not always be fun and carefree.

Second, remember that it doesn’t matter what your circumstances are you can choose to still be positive, still speak positive, and believe that positive is coming. You choose your response to daily life. You choose the words, you choose your feelings, you choose joy or not.

Finally, and most important, pay attention to what you are seeking first. Do your thoughts center around how you’re going to change your circumstances, what you’re going to say to that person that made you mad. Do your thoughts center around how you’ll feel as you begin yet another day of doing something you don’t want to do OR do you seek first and foremost God and His righteousness? Are you spending more time thinking about you or about God?

How do I seek God? I get asked that question occasionally. I start by talking to God before I ever get out of bed. He’s the first conversation I have and the last conversation I have. Normally I say something like this “thanks for giving me another opportunity to be your vehicle, I’m praying I do it well, that I’m open to what you want to do today and that my words reflect my heart.” I also read my bible daily. Sometimes I read a Psalm, sometimes I read just a few verses, other times I read a few chapters; what matters is I’m reading God’s words, learning His thoughts. And I also seek God by having conversations about God with people I trust. “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” I need sharpening, especially when I’m in seasons of life that the bad seems to be a wider track than the good.

Here’s my challenge to you: Don’t just post on facebook something you are thankful for, but instead spend an entire day only saying things that are good. Can you do it? You’ll need to seek God first, of that I’m sure, but I’m also sure you can certainly do it. When you’re tempted to be negative, pause, and then say something awesome.

Let me know how it goes…but remember the key, seek Him first.

No comments: