Monday, July 15, 2013

To trust

We were asked to come forward, bringing our paper animal and then told to pin it to the net. The animal represented an area of our life we wanted to release to God, to say He's in control of that area. One after one they went forward, kids that were crying out to God "yes, I want to be part of this!" It was church camp for the high school kids, last summer, and I was along as a leader. My first ever youth camp experience of any kind and overwhelmed doesn't fully describe what the week was like for me. This particular night the music was spot on and during the call for everyone to bring their paper animals forward I stayed put, it was like cement had filled my shoes. I couldn't move. I just stood there, with my eyes closed, listening to the music and feeling the emotion in the room.

I could feel God all around me..whispering..."do you trust me, Carla?"

Wave after wave washed over me and with each tear that fell I whispered back "I want too."

I opened my eyes to see, suspended on the stage, a glow in the dark word. The nets were hanging by wire and the papers had been clipped to the nets and a word glowed in giant letters TRUST. I gasped, I had no idea that's what they were going to do with the paper, what they were going to do with the nets. I certainly did not expect to see that particular word hung, starring at me as if God himself were hanging above the stage shouting to us all "DO YOU TRUST ME?"




Recently I decided to change the background on my facebook page, after searching for awhile and coming up short I stopped and asked myself "what do I need to be starring back at me?" The answer was so obvious I laughed out loud. I had quickly grabbed my phone that night at church camp and snapped a picture of the giant TRUST hanging over the stage; I knew I would need to be reminded again. The time has come, the reminding is needed. Each day that has ticked by this month I have needed it more and today it seems I need it the most.

Facing uncertainty is never easy, but God has reminded me today that if I trust Him then I don't need easy I just need to be close enough to Him to see where He steps so I can be sure He's leading me.

Trust indeed.

No comments: