Sunday, July 7, 2013

The wave

It happens almost every single time. It's subtle and if you look the wrong way you'll miss it. If you're on the wrong bike, you'll miss it. But it's there for those who are in the club. The wave. The Harely Davidson wave.

I have been on my share of motorcycle rides, Harley rides. I have seen my share of waves. But today I finally made the connection--it's about the club. You see a bike coming towards you and then when it's close enough to decipher if it's wave worthy the drivers will extend a hand ever so slightly giving a friendly wave as the bikes pass one another. The wave. The club.

As we drove today and passed several bikes, extending several waves this is what I thought "if only it were that easy to tell a Christian was approaching, so that as we passed one another we could extend the 'you're in the club too' wave instead of just passing through life wondering if anyone around you feels the same way you do."

I want a Christian-wave-club. I want us to have the same loyalty found in the biker world. I want to look to my left and right and feel a sense of belonging when I'm out in the world not just in a church building. At my church we often say "WE are the church this is just a building." So, if WE are the church then where is our wave as we pass by on the streets? Where is our wave that says "you rock!"? Where is our wave that says "I'm in this with you"? Where is our nation wide club recognized by all, envied by some, devoted to by many? Where is our waving club?

Motorcycles can be very dangerous. Following Jesus can be more dangerous. Motorcycles attract attention (especially Harley ones). Loving Jesus in out loud ways attracts attention. I love riding on the back of the bike...I love the freedom it brings as the wind rushes over my entire body. I love being God's daughter, the freedom it brings as I endure trial after trial knowing this life is not the end and the battle that matters is already won.


The wave is cool so I'm probably going to start waving at lots of people. Just sayin.

1 comment:

Connie Zerkle said...

Love this idea. I have seen motorcyclists waving like that to each other and wondered if they just knew each other or if it was just a motorcyclist "thing"! Here is waving at you Carla!