Monday, October 27, 2008

Storms

Writing out loud for others to see creates a storm within me. My favorite description of Jesus in the Bible is when he was in the boat with the disciples and the storm came. Jesus was sleeping and the disciples freaked out, waking him and He responded "Why do you still fear?" But the part I love the most is the beginning...Jesus got in the boat first and then asked the disciples to join him.

You see, He knew the storm would be coming. He could have said lets wait, there's a storm coming. He didn't. He climbed in that boat and then said follow me. I guess you could say He led them into the storm. So what did he do when He woke up? He calmed the storm with the raising of His hands. What comfort I get from that picture.

I remember hearing this story at church a few years back. I remember sitting there listening to Pastor Bill talk about if you're in a storm right now and thinking "hey, I must have this Christian thing down cause my life is good!" Then he quickly followed up with "If you're not in one now, brace yourself cause one is coming." Crap! And he was right, it came. I can't even tell you how grateful I am to Pastor Bill for pointing out that Jesus got in the boat first!

That storm has passed me and once again, my life is great. Another one is coming though. I know. But what is just as comforting as knowing He's in my boat is knowing He calms the storm and gets me through to the other side. Storms aren't always bad, if you change the way you see them. Don't look at the wind around you, look at the one within you.

Sometimes our storms are big, like what's happening right now in our country or divorce or the death of a child or rape; sometimes our storms are small like meeting deadlines at work or being the parent not the friend or breaking ties with unhealthy people. Regardless of the size of the storm, the fear that surrounds it is still alive and still overwhelming. Regardless of the size of the storm Jesus got in the boat first and when you finally turn to him, after freaking out, listen to Him..."Why do you still fear?"; trust Him "I will never forsake you"; lean on Him "Nothing is impossible for God".


Till next time...

No comments: