Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Internet

My son will start high school this next school year and that means that when he goes off to college no one in his class will have ever known life without the Internet. Actually, none of my kids do. It's weird to think there are things that were "invented" during my lifetime but not my kids, kinda makes me feel old.

I have been apart of the Internet world for some time now, getting more and more used to it I must admit. I remember when the thought of Internet dating was appalling to most of us, including me. I guess when you say it that way "Internet dating" it does sound kinda creepy, but having been apart of that world I can tell you I'd much rather meet someone off the Internet than from the local bar.

I've been single for three years now. I've had just a few short term relationships and I've made some really good friends. I think now I can say I understand why my mom said to "date around" before settling down. I always thought that concept seemed creepy to, actually the word I thought of was slutty. LOL But I get it now, I can't even put into words how much I've learned about who I am as a person over these last three years.

I have my share of dating stories, some down right make ya cry funny and some make ya cry cause they weren't funny. I've had my moments of loving the fact I'm single and moments of yelling at God, begging God to bring someone into my life because I hate being single. I have friends who have fantastic marriages and allow me to peek in and see how they do it...thank you for that. I have friends who's marriages are anything but fantastic and allow me to peek in on that as well...reminds me why I like being single. I'm kidding, kinda. Regardless of it all, I look forward to doing life with someone, but it will be the right someone or it will be no one. Just that simple.


I had lunch (not a date) the other day with an friend from high school, someone I haven't seen in nearly 15 years...all thanks because of the Internet. Actually had that experience a few times because of the lovely facebook/myspace sites. LOVE THEM! It was good catching up with him, hearing how he's grown into the man he is today. Which by the way I'm very proud of him! I have other friends who have become some of my closest friends all because we were able to reconnect over the Internet.

So, if you're reading this congrats to you for joining the Internet world of blogging/facebook. If you're single and dating know that I feel your pain and I will laugh and cry with you any time you need me to. If you're married, my goodness stay married because this dating thing totally sucks butt! ;) Seriously, don't knock the Internet dating thing when one of your single friends tells you how they met so and so, just pray for us single folk and know that we're all just trying to carve out our own path in this big world.

Till next time...

No comments: