Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's a New Year!!

My friend, Connie, gave me a devotional book for Christmas this year and I can officially start it today. It's from Beth Moore's Breaking Free book and after I finished my reading I sat in the quiet for a moment to let it sink in. I tend to move from one thing to the next much to quickly, maybe that will be part of my new year's resolution...slow down and let it sink in. As I sat there I started telling God the things I want to break free from, things like the negative self talk I'm always doing, the past that holds me from being who I am today, the fear that keeps me from letting anyone totally in including God. I want to break free from making progress and then falling backwards. I want to break free from the feeling of treading water, barely making it, having to prove I'm enough.

It occurred to me as I was sitting there that when I stay connected to God, when I take time daily to "just be" with Him, when I surround myself with the right people all that stuff I wanna break free from seems to diminish. It's only when I start to get busy with life, forget to sit and "just be", mingle where I shouldn't that life starts to feel not so good.

I've been making my way through the book of Psalms, but today I went back to one of my favorite...Psalm 27. I traced over the words as I read them, wanting them to become a part of my skin. I want to BELIEVE what it says, I want to LIVE what it says. I want to stay steadfast even when it hurts because I KNOW in my heart and soul it's true.

So, officially my new year's resolution...Psalm 27:14 "Wait patiently for the Lord, Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord."

Till next time...

No comments: