Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Take time...

I read a short article today about the busyness of our lives like being late for appointments because of a string of events that take place and seem to snowball out of control so that by the end of the day you're frazzled and not sure if you completed anything on time or at all. That used to be me and on some days it still is I guess.

I had a great conversation with my best friend yesterday about what to do professionally, she struggles with what she wants to do verses what others think she should do; that used to be me and still is some days.

One of the good things about starting over is you get to choose what comes back in, what plates are worth spinning. Now, nearly two years has gone by since my life changed and I am farther than I ever would have been had my life not been broken in two. But not in ways "typical" of Americans. I haven't worked a full time job since then, I volunteer at my church often, the job I do have isn't really a job to me it's more like going to work to get a brake from life, I still go to counseling every six weeks and can look people in the eye to say that, I am in college full time and will graduate this year (woohoo mom, I think we've made it)...all while I have three kids depending on me daily to keep life running.

In order to do all of that I had to humble myself in some decisions, but let me be clear in telling you God has worked in outrageous ways to allow me to start life over the way I have. We are taken care of in ways I never imagined would happen. The people in my life are the reason why I've gotten this far...I am so grateful for their love and friendship.

This "time off" if you will has been a life lesson...my life isn't about moving up the corporate ladder, earning equity in my house, or having the newest cool stuff. Life, for me at least, has become exactly what I'm living...I'm at home if my kids are sick, I'm home when they come home from school, my kids are seeing God work in our lives and are impacted by it, I'm building fantastic relationships, I'm learning who I am and am becoming very comfortable in my own skin, I'm living life not doing life.

I might not have money in the bank after I pay my bills, or own my home, or have designer clothes but I tell you this...I am rich in ways far greater than any of that. I wouldn't trade my life for any THING!

So, my point to this whole thing....no one dies thinking they wish they had worked more or owned more (ok some do, but I'm guessing you won't) so don't let it get to the point where God has to break you before you slow down; you can change the pace, you can. Start with one thing, anything, but just start because this year will go by so quickly and at the end you'll be glad you slowed down, trust me! ;)

Till next time...

No comments: