Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Into the storm

I've written many times over the years about when Jesus took the disciples into the storm..it's my favorite part of the whole Bible. My favorite because it shows just how surrounded we are by His love...Jesus got in the boat first. To me, that's the key part of the whole thing...He knew the storm was coming, he got in the boat and then called to them to join Him so they could cross to the other side. He didn't tell them to go and then at the last second said wait, you're going to need me to go along for this one...nope, He lead the way.

A storm has brewing in my life, it's to be expected I guess. We're either coming out of one, in one, or entering one...I'm entering. I haven't decided which of those three is my favorite one to be in, each is painful in its own way and each is fantastic in its own way. Regardless, I'm entering...I felt it coming for some time now...but the tears are still flowing, the fear is still swelling, and once again I find myself asking "But can I trust him THIS time?"

Having endured storms before I am fully aware that this one too shall pass and when it does, beauty lies ahead. In the meantime, I will draw upon what my past storms have taught me and I will seek to find what this storm is meant to teach me...and I will do as the eagles and fly into the storm knowing His wings will raise me above the storm into safety.

And then I find myself wondering...what makes it a "storm"? Maybe it's just a left turn, another next step, an opportunity to draw near to God because He will draw near to you...maybe what I see as a storm is really just, well not. Not a storm at all, it's just life as a Christian, as a person this side of heaven. Hmmm....well, regardless I know He got in the boat first, He knows what lies ahead and He alone calms the waters. So as I leave to enter whatever it is that's up ahead of me I will put on my life jacket (prayer) and I will be confident, not wavering, in who I am.

Till next time....

No comments: