Thursday, June 10, 2010

Writers Block

I don't normally talk about having writers block because I've never really had it. Not in the sense of feeling the pressure to write and then starring at a blank screen because no words are forming in my mind. Normally my mind is swirling with words, writing comes naturally to me.

I'm told that I'm a good writer and that I speak to the heart when I write. I've learned to embrace that instead of brush it off or question if people really mean those words. I've learned to accept the gift God has given me and to begin to use it, out loud.

Today however I feel what must be writers block, or at least a version of it. My block isn't lack of words, it's lack of confidence. I know I'm a good writer and I know God has plenty to say through me, I also know what I'm getting ready to create will actually be read by others and I suddenly feel a huge sense of responsibility. It's the same feelings that has kept me from truly writing a book for all these years. I begin, I get a lot written, then I quit. Fear.

I wrote in my journal two nights ago I will not make decisions based on fear or doubt. I guess that includes my writing, huh. I started blogging a few years ago because I needed practice at letting others read my thoughts and now, the time has come to take the next step in writing. Compile the thoughts, expand on them, and create the book that's swelling inside me. I've stopped doing research on writing a book, I've stopped reading the opinions of others regarding this and I've committed that I will simply write it and let the chips fall where they may. Look out world, Carla's about to write...out loud.

No comments: