Sunday, September 5, 2010

Character

The other day I was talking on the phone and used the phrase "she has really good character", apparently Erica was listening to my conversation because later she asked me "what is character?" My mind, which is usually racing, screeches to a halt and I had no clue how to explain it to her. When I talk to someone about character, I just assume they know the definition, but what if I'm wrong, what if they are wondering just like Erica, only don't say anything.

We like to say we're a good judge of character, we like to say we have good character. It's easy to point out bad character that's glaring, such as someone that steals. But what about someone that tells you that you look nice yet thinks you don't, or someone that goes to church on Sunday and then slanders his boss all week long under the guise of "just water cooler talk", or what about the parent that says to the child "how can you be that stupid?" What about the guy you go on a date with that refuses to pay for your meal because he wants to make sure you're not going to try and rake him over the coals later? And the lady at work that says it's ok to take the stapler, they have plenty because it's corporate America; the man who works his way up the ladder all while stepping on people to get there.

Character...I told Erica, "well, it's how we can tell if it's someone we can trust, are they who they say they are" to which she says "and if they're not, we shouldn't be their friend". Ah, if only it were that easy, that cut and dry. Or is it?

When I look back on my life I can see weakness in my character, some because I didn't know better, some because I did. I had moments of knowing the truth, yet not speaking it. I had moments of knowing the right decision yet not choosing it. I also had moments of wanting more than I needed and giving in to my desire. Character.

Honesty. Respect. Loyalty. Integrity. Are you who you say you are? Can you be trusted, do you show respect, are you loyal? Do you have integrity? Are you who you want to be? Character.

I have put a lot of work into the person I am today, it's been a very long and slow process. I am still so far from where I long to be, yet if I died today I would be honored to stand before God, my creator. There was a time in my life that would have been different. Will you be honored or will you be embarrassed?

I wrote this in my journal a long time ago, "People that have good character, they work at it. They are conscience of it. They are deliberate with their words, their actions, and their promises. They aren't worried about winning you for the moment, they are worried about influencing you for life. People with good character aren't perfect, they are merely seeking a better way." and followed it with I want this.


Character....become who your heart whispers you really are.

No comments: