Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sex or....

This morning the news talked of a man who survived an in-home invasion, his two daughters and wife were not as lucky; although I'm not sure you can say he's lucky as he will now forever live with the sounds of torture. I watched him on the tv, looked at his eyes and saw nothing but hollow. He'll never be the same, forever changed because of the evil that exists in this world.

Later in the news they talked about the female newscaster who's causing some issues due to the way she dresses, or lack there of. A panel of women were brought on to talk about this "outrage" and to analyze if her clothes are ok, if they way the football players reacted to her is ok, if this is something we want to portray to our children, blah blah blah.

I've thought about this all day. I can't shake the image of that man, a widowed man who is also childless now. I am shocked at the amount of time and energy spent on the newscaster over the fact that this man's family was murdered and he heard every single word. Sex over death.

I saw a commercial for a local station going out and asking the public what they'd like to see on the news and one man said "not so much bad stuff". I bet he'd also tell you he'd rather hear about the newscaster over the murder. Sex over "bad stuff".

I watched my daughter cheer last night, I sat starring at her and wondered "what exactly is the point of having the skirts THAT short, especially for girls that are only 12 and 13 years old and don't understand the implications that go along with revealing your body?" The NFL cheerleaders wear basically fancy bras instead of shirts and no one seems to find a problem with that. Sex over clothing.

It makes me sad that we as a society value sexual crap over feelings, over a person's life. We seem to think sexual is what's at the center of who we are, if we're attracted to someone then it's ok to act on that in whatever fashion we see fit. Women wear revealing clothing and then wonder why they have low self esteem. Men have meaningless sex and then wonder why nothing ever completely satisfies them.

Sex is good, don't misunderstand me; God made us to be sexual beings. It's just not meant to be the heart of who we are.

So today I wonder how exactly I'm to raise my girls with class, to teach them to embrace their body, be proud of it, yet respect it. Teach them that just because "they" wear clothes with all their junk hanging out doesn't mean you should...and why you shouldn't. To teach them that men will look, it's how God made them, but it doesn't mean they can touch. To teach them real men will make you feel like the daughter of God you are, not an object to make them feel like a man for a moment. Value over sex. Value. Over. Sex.

No comments: