Friday, October 22, 2010

What IS your ministry?

Five months ago God lead me to the decision to start Vulnerability Ministries and to be in ministry full time. It's been difficult to fully articulate exactly what it is I'm doing, to give people an answer I think will satisfy them; largely because the answers are only slowly coming to me. I have a bird's eye vision of what it is, but getting into the details hasn't been the easiest. This morning however I shall try to narrow the view and hopefully help you understand Vulnerability Ministries.


I believe that no matter what kind of life you have lived you have been wounded along the way. Even if you had a great childhood and wonderful parents and now have a great life, things happen that hurt you and caused you to add a layer of protection to yourself. Some of us have wounds that are easy to identify, some of us must dig a little deeper, but we all have them. My wounds come in several forms, some worse than others. As I've begun to share my story and let people see what those wounds are I discovered there are MANY people today carrying the weight of a wound but never addressing it. When you don't acknowledge something is broken you can't fix it. When you don't fix it, the weight of it grows thus infecting other areas of our life. It saddens me to hear someone whisper in my ear "your the first person I've ever told that...." but I hear it often.


My goal is not to start a new church or become a preacher (although if that's what God tells me to do then I guess I'll have to do it). My heart though is to connect with churches, to come alongside them and help them become a healthy church. Our churches are filled with hurting people who walk through the doors on Sunday morning and put on the "happy Christian face" but are crying on the inside. Churches are slowly becoming more tolerant of someone being honest with who they are and where they've been in life, my desire is to increase that beyond a tolerance and to make people of any walk of life feel completely accepted so they can be honest about what is beneath the fake smile. When you're honest about who you are, when you're honest about the wounds you carry and when you admit you need God in ALL areas....well, that my friend is when healing truly begins to happen.


People will talk about someone relapsing in their addiction, going back to the abusive husband, continuing to have causal sex, etc and I know without a doubt all that happens because that person has yet to fully cry out to God, has yet to be fully honest with who they are what their journey has been like. That person still has something they are denying thus something they are keeping from God, God is not yet their center. My goal...get that particular wall down.


Four years ago I started searching as to why I am created a woman and why God even made woman. Over the last four years I've gone from wondering why I'm a woman, to hating being a woman, to loving God deeper for making woman. Vulnerability Ministries is an expression of that and hopefully a way for all to connect on a large scale and women to connect on an intimate scale.


That is one part. The other is to connect with our youth. I've never felt I am raising children, I've always said I am raising future adults. The kids of today will be the adults of tomorrow and it's our responsibility to come alongside them and help them become the best adults they can be. The adults that are whispering in my ear...they were once children and wounds started then. We need to be teaching healthy boundaries, teaching that it's ok to have morals, it's ok to love God and above all teaching them it's not ok to keep those wounds inside. My goal through the ministry is to provide a safe place where kids can talk openly, get solid direction, and begin to learn the importance of having Christ as your center in life.


That's the bottom line really....we need to have Christ as the center of our life. That's my ultimate goal, help people of all ages begin to do that.


So, hopefully that helps. Please feel free to call me or email me if you want to talk further. If you think you're church is open to this ministry let me know that too. If you'd like to donate to the ministry, or if you'd like to volunteer in some way then lets talk! Thank you all for your support and your encouragement. It's not an "fun" ministry that's for sure, but it truly is an inspiring one and I'm beyond excited God is allowing me to be part of someone's healing journey.

No comments: