Saturday, June 18, 2011

I love...

I've been made fun of plenty for how much I love coffee. But this morning, as I sit here at the kitchen table, preparing to write, I'm sipping on coffee and thinking "yep, I love it!" It's just how it is.

We throw the "love" word around a lot in our society. We either love something or hate something. We're quick to post of facebook when we have a new love and we're quick to post on facebook when we have a new enemy. I dislike both of those situations. Maybe I'm getting old.

Tomorrow is Father's Day, I'm lucky enough to have two men in my life that love me and let me call them Dad. There are plenty in this world that don't even have one dad...a good friend is burying his dad today, the eve of Fathers Day. I dislike that too. Maybe I'm too sentimental.

Something has changed in me over the years of following God. I've softened in ways I didn't expect. I'm beginning to understand "turn the other cheek" and I'm beginning to understand "the greatest of these is love"...there's a lot of country music that stems from the bible, just sayin.

I'm trying desperately to figure out this "life" thing, to figure out where I fit in all of it and to figure out how much of it is up to me and how much isn't. I'm also trying desperately to raise my kids with a shield of wisdom, not life experience wisdom, but God wisdom. As a person on this earth I don't believe we are here to merely exist, to simply suck in air. I don't believe we are here to earn stuff, get ahead, or even to remind the world just how much we've been hurt. As a person that was created by a being that loves us beyond our imagination, we are here to simply love Him back, love His people back, and leave this earth better than if we'd not been here. The rest, well that's icing on the cake if you ask me....but then again, I'm old, sentimental, and love country music and coffee.

No comments: