Sunday, June 19, 2011

Our Father

I remember in elementary school going to "religion" class and in that class I learned to say THE prayer...it begins "Our Father, who art in Heaven..." and I remember thinking my dad isn't in heaven and why are we calling God Father, why aren't we calling him God? I also remember being in high school and going to campus life with my friend, she truly loved God and I...well, I got drunk on vodka.

Today is a day we celebrate Dad's, a day we pause to say "I love you and I'm grateful for you" to the man that gave us life but it's also a day for us to remember all the men in our life and to remember the One that gave us breath.

As I've grown as a Christian I've grown in all ares of my life, the main one I think being that I love deeper and I'm therefore more guarded of that love. Growing as a Christian also means an awareness of the fact that God didn't HAVE to make me and certainly doesn't HAVE to continue to let me breath. I was just saying the other day "it's a wonder I haven't been turned into a frog yet". The more I learn about myself the more I understand grace and the more I understand grace the more I love God.

If this Father's Day is hard for you, for whatever reason, then let me encourage you by saying this, I have never known unconditional love, deep and pure love, until I became a Christian so I challenge you, on this day, to reach out to one who knows you best, the one who simply, honestly, does just want to love you and let yourself begin to know our Father, who art in Heaven....

And to my dad's...I'm grateful for you and I love you

No comments: