Thursday, September 18, 2008

christian words

The other day I got into a tiny debate with someone over the definition of sanctification. There was a group of people around during this little debate and I wondered to myself how many of them had ever even heard of the word, and furthermore did it really matter? I mean I doubt when you die and finally see God face to face He's going to say "Ok, YOU, what's the definition of...". So why do we as Christians feel the need to throw around these "big" words? Is it to make ourselves look important? Scholarly? Is it so we look more Christian? Or is it because we hide behind those words hoping no one sees just how shallow our relationship truly is with Christ?

I wrote the other day about learning to be a partner and it's occurred to me I have yet to learn to be a partner, a true partner, with God. God is to be the leader of my family, meaning I must give up that control; God is to be my best friend, meaning I am to tell Him my secrets and desires; God is to show me the way, but I am to have the courage to actually do it. It's a side-by-side, yet being lead all in one package. A true and deep relationship.

I know way more "Christian words" now than I've ever known and there's still so much I have to learn. I am comfortable talking about my faith and about the Bible yet there's so much of the Bible I've yet to read. I'm not ashamed of either of those statements. But I am bothered that I allowed myself to get so worked up over a word, when the point is relationship. Community. Togetherness.

So as Christians maybe we should check our "words" at the door and simply talk to people, meet them where they are not where we are. Maybe we should open up more, to others and too God. Maybe, just maybe we should ask ourselves why we feel the need to hide behind words...

If you don't feel you have a relationship with God, a true side-by-side relationship, I encourage you to admit it. Just admit it. Then sit down and talk to God about it because I promise you He wants a relationship with you more than anything else in this world. Promise!

Oh and if you are throwing around the big words, please know the correct meaning or else we're all gonna be really confused...as if this life isn't confusing enough.

Till next time....

No comments: