Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Distraction

The other day I started to clean my bedroom, it shouldn't take long..that was my thinking...two days later I was still cleaning. Why? Because I kept getting distracted. I'd find something that belonged someplace else, say the bathroom, so I'd walk into the bathroom and then see it needed cleaned so I'd start cleaning the bathroom, forgetting I needed to return to my bedroom. On and on this went and by the end of the first day my house was a disaster because I'd started projects in literally every room. Distraction.

Today is my day to devote to the ministry. Time to write, work on letters that need to go out, and a whole host of other items. I've decided to devote Tuesday's to the ministry, I'm trying to get a schedule figured out, and yet I found myself distracted with other things around me. The yard isn't finished (she needs a LOT of work though), dishes need done, laundry needs put away, and I've yet to get to the trail. My mind keeps wandering too. Distraction.

I have bipolar and some of my distraction simply comes from that, yet some of it is just life (we all struggle with distraction to some degree). Yet both of those are merely excuses to hide behind. We forget something only because we didn't take the time to allow it to become important to us (do we ever forget when the Colts play?); we get distracted only because we haven't learned how to focus our minds, center our souls. We haven't learned to say no to ourselves.

My challenge for the day, saying no to myself and yes to my list. Sticking to the task I'm on till it's done, fully being present in the moment I'm in, and giving my complete attention till the next moment comes. Let the challenge begin...

Till next time....

No comments: