Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What a summer...

My kids have gone back to school officially today and I am left to reflect on the summer, it's been a whirlwind to say the least.

The summer started with me being fired for the first time ever and starting a new ministry all in the same week; I should have known that was going to set the pace for the summer. One week later I went on a five day, nearly 2000 mile, vacation with my "Charlie Brown" and laughed till I thought my stomach would permanently cramp. That trip was about sheer fun and fun we had. He's truly a friend to me and I'll forever be grateful for the memories we created over those five days.

Tyler and Kaitlyn went to New York with their grandparents, Tyler went to his first high school church camp, Kaitlyn had a full time job babysitting, all three spent a week with my mom at the lake, Erica went to Ohio for a week (first time she's been away from me for that long)and all in all my kids were gone more than they were home this summer. I'm grateful for cell phones, texting, and being able to send pics to one another.

I've gotten to see six or seven country bands this summer, grown very close with "nest", traveled to Put n Bay, took in a drag race, spent time at the lake with my kids, hung out with family, slept in, started running again, wrestled with God, battled Satan, started working part time for my church, and not only spoke at churches but have clearly seen the hand of God in Vulnerability Ministries. God has shown up out loud and outrageous...an answer to prayer.

I think we as Christians assume that in order to truly follow Christ we're only going to have hardship, we're only going to struggle, and we're going to feel the full weight of "carrying our cross". We couldn't be further from the heart of God...I shared a recap of my summer not so you can say "good for you", I share because I want people to see that God not only calls us to do things that may seem impossible (uh starting a ministry full time while still needing to feed three kids seems pretty impossible to me), but He calls us to live abundantly. This summer is proof of that, but this summer has also had its share of tears, heartache, and doubt. I've had many nights that I slept only a few hours, many conversations with friends about what to do next, and I've sat in my home alone more nights than I care to admit crying because I'm scared to death of what God's calling me to do.

Today as I reflect on the summer and all that has happened it's so clear to me, God is both...He calls us to push beyond the comfortable AND He reigns blessings all over us. Yes I'm starting a ministry, yes I'm unsure how the bills will be paid and yes I'm positive God is saying I'll take care of it, please enjoy this life I'm giving you.

Take time to reflect on your summer so you can say "ah, I SEE God right there, in that moment too!"

Till next time...

No comments: