Tuesday, August 3, 2010

the journey

I love to journal. I've done it most of my life, actually I can't remember not journaling. Today I opened my journal at random and started reading. Some of what I read made me smile; some of what I read made me cry. Journaling is the capturing of my soul in black and white, seeing my heart through my penmanship. I was reminded of how far I've come and how far I've yet to go.

I've started reading a book, not for small group, just for me. Every Woman's Battle. Three chapters into it my eyes have been opened in ways I didn't expect. I'm learning what true balance is, what true integrity is; I'm also learning I've come a long way and have a long way to go.

When Moses led the Israliets out of captivity and they came to the Red Sea, they only had two options. Go forward, into the sea which they thought they'd surely die or, go back to the land that held them captive where they'd surely die. Looking back they saw the distance they'd traveled and were reminded of how far they'd come, yet looking ahead they saw water that reminded them of how far they'd yet to go.

In this life we will never be fully where we feel we need to be; on this side of heaven we will always fall short of the target. It's so easy to get discouraged, to feel like you're just spinning your wheels. It's so easy to want to give up and go "back"...going "back" is at least something you "know". But as I was reading my journal today I was reminded of all that God has done in my life, all the times I know in my heart I felt Him, heard Him, saw Him. Going back is pointless, it already happened. Going forward, well, there's a whole lot of God up ahead waiting on me to discover! I've got a long way to go, but oh the fun we will have. I've come a long way, but oh the love I have felt.

till next time....

No comments: