Thursday, December 24, 2015

Day 24 The list.

Growing up we're reminded all throughout the year about the list. The naughty and nice list. Santa's list. Our parents use this list to keep us from throwing fits in the store, being mean to our siblings and we are told that if we're reeeeally good, Santa will bring us LOTS of toys. Yes, Santa's list is a pretty big deal for kids and dare I say it's a big deal for parents too.

The problem? This list, you see, is conditional. We only get rewarded if we make the nice list and as kids we feel that we are only loved if we are rewarded and thus, when we fall short, the fear is much deeper than Santa not visiting, the fear is the loss of love. 

My biggest struggle as a Christian is that I often view God and how He works in my life along the same lines as Santa and that list. I think of the things I have done wrong, the times I have fallen short, the expectations of others that I failed to live up too and I am tempted to believe God has placed me on the naughty list thus removing me from His loving arms.

The list tries to haunt me.

Tonight, on the Eve of the birth of Jesus, my prayer is that we (you and me) will remember each and every day to come that in the miracle of the birth of Jesus the list vanishes. No longer is it about being good enough, no longer is there a threat of the make-believe Santa not visiting--through the birth of the very real Jesus, we can experience unconditional and unwavering love simply because God wants to love us.

When you become a Christian, the list vanishes and in it's place is the Prince of Peace.




No comments: