Friday, December 25, 2015

Day 25 of 25 Days for Peace

I have put off writing all day--I woke early, with a "theme" of what to write about but instead of jotting it down so I wouldn't forget, I rolled over in bed and shut my eyes tighter. I don't want to write the last post. I don't want it to be day 25. This project has been invigorating, challenging, frustrating, and more rewarding than I expected and although those are all good, it's not why I didn't want this moment to come.

I tend to be an "out of sight out of mind" kind of person. Seriously, if it wasn't for my kids saying "mom mom mom" I'm certain I would have lost them by now. It's a real problem. And I know I'm not alone. I'm willing to bet many of you following along with 25 Days for Peace tend to be forgetful too, tend to be absent minded when it's not right in front of you. I don't want it to be day 25 because I fear we'll begin to shift and no longer be focusing on something as important as Peace; I fear that we'll wake up one day and say "That project was so good, can't really remember much of it and certainly don't feel peace now, but man it was good!" I fear that will be me.

Focusing for 25 days on a single word has been unearthing for me. Things have surfaced internally that I never saw coming, I've experienced God in ways I never expected, and friendships have formed that I never looked for; it has been an amazing 25 days and peace has covered me to the point of overflowing. I literally FEEL peace, I'm calmer, I'm focused, and at the store the other day the lady waiting in line behind me said "I want what you have because you seem so...peaceful." I busted out laughing at the irony as I said "Well as a matter of fact..." We had a beautiful encounter in a moment that could have just been grumbling and joining in misery.

As I write these words, as I reflect on the past days, I am realizing peace has become part of me. Could my focus shift? Yes, and in some ways it will. But, it doesn't have to LEAVE me. And it doesn't have to leave YOU. Our project is complete, but Peace is with us--let us never forget the reason why Jesus was born...to bring US peace.

Merry Christmas to you...Happy Birthday to Jesus. This 25th day is the best day we could ever ask for, may Peace never be far from our focus.

*One final thought, in your times of struggle to find calm I encourage you to visit and re-read...the words matter in the future days just as much as on the current day.

No comments: